- Data Downloads
- Data Query
- Ocean Currents
Data are available to the public with acknowledgement given to the University of California, Davis, Bodega Marine Laboratory Please contact the appropriate investigator for inquiries regarding active reseach or collaborative opportunities, see BOON Researchers >
If you produce a product or publication that uses BOON data we require a minimum of the following:
- An acknowledgment such as “Data provided by the University of California, Davis, Bodega Marine Laboratory” within the publication.
- If data is delivered via the BOON website, provide a link to the BOON website.
- An e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the publication title, product description or URL.
Please do not:
- Pass data to other parties.
- Post data directly on to a website, publish data without proper acknowledgement, or otherwise suggest that it is your own data.
BOON Data Disclaimer:
Regarding documents and information available from this website: environmental data are provided by BML/BOON with the understanding that they are not guaranteed to be correct or complete. Conclusions drawn from such information are the sole responsibility of the user and the user assumes the entire risk related to use of this data and this site. While we have attempted to ensure that these data are accurate and reliable, neither BML/BOON nor any of its members or employees makes any warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or utility of this information, nor does the fact of distribution constitute a warranty.
When contacting BOON regarding data please provide the following information:
- Purpose for which the data will be used, or outline of what you intend to do with the data.
- E-mail address
- First name/Last name
- Telephone number
All information and data on this website is subject to copyright of BML/BOON or its partners. Further information, feedback, and requests or inquiries concerning usage and rights should be addressed to email@example.com.
ERDDAP is a data server designed to facilitate automated access to environmental data for both people and other data servers.
BML hosts an ERDDAP data server with access to a selection of sensors on shoreline seawater instruments. The datasets include metadata that describe the variables, their units and reference points, allowing data to be reliably processed, analyzed and compared with other datasets.
BML also hosts an OPENDAP server, intended for use with client applications that have an OPENDAP access library, such as Matlab or ncBrowse.
The ERDDAP server provides a more human-oriented interface, allowing a user to discover and examine the datasets using a normal web browser, and it can produce customized timeline plots of the data. The plots can be downloaded as static images in png or pdf format, or alternatively the corresponding URL can be copied into a web page to produce plots that automatically update. The data may also be downloaded in a variety of formats such as HTML, CSV (for Excel), Matlab and netCDF.
Here are some live, sample graphs that were produced by the ERDDAP data server.
|BML Seawater Temperature||Fort Point Seawater Temperature|
Please note that the ERDDAP and OPENDAP data servers are currently serving trial datasets for which quality has not been verified and access paths may change. Further datasets, including atmospheric sensors and buoy mounted instruments, are being developed and will be added shortly.
The trial datasets include data provided courtesy of the San Francisco State University's Romberg Tiburon Center for the Environment and Humboldt State University.
Funding for this project was provided by CeNCOOS.
Note: Data dates/times are UTC (PST -8/PDT -7).
BML Atmospheric Data
- Solar Radiation Daily and Hourly Averages (2008-present)
- Solar PAR Daily and Hourly Averages (2008-present)
- Air Temperature Daily and Hourly Averages (1988-present)
- Barometric Pressure Daily and Hourly Averages (2008-present)
- Wind Speed Daily and Hourly Averages (1988-present)
- Wind Direction Daily and Hourly Averages (1988-present)
- Carbon monoxide (CO) Measurements (2004-2007)
- Rainfall Daily and Monthly (1970-present)
BML Shorestation Seawater Data
- BML Shorestation Seawater Temperature Daily and Hourly Averages (1988-present)
- BML Shorestation Seawater Salinity Daily and Hourly Averages (1988-present)
- BML Shorestation Seawater Conductivity Daily and Hourly Averages (1988-present)
- BML Shorestation Seawater Density Daily and Hourly Averages (2008-present)
- BML Shorestation Seawater Data Downloads Using ERDDAP (2009-present)
BML Mooring and Buoy Seawater Data
- Dissolved Oxygen (30 m)
- Temperature, Salinity/Conductivity & Fluorescence/Transmittance (2005-2007)
- BML Buoy WQM Temperature Daily and Hourly Averages (2012-present)
- BML Buoy WQM Salinity Daily and Hourly Averages (2012-present)
- BML Buoy WQM Conductivity Daily and Hourly Averages (2012-present)
- BML Buoy WQM Chlorophyll Daily and Hourly Averages (2012-present)
- BML Buoy WQM Turbidity Daily and Hourly Averages (2012-present)
- BML Buoy WQM Dissolved Oxygen Daily and Hourly Averages (2012-present)
- BML Buoy WQM Oxygen Saturation Daily and Hourly Averages (2012-present)
Buoy Climatology Plots and Data
- Annual Air Temperature, Seawater Temperature and Wind Speed Compared with Long Term Averages (1981-present)
Tomales Bay Buoy Seawater Data
- Tomales Bay Buoy Seawater Temperature Daily and Hourly Averages (2013-present)
- Tomales Bay Buoy Seawater Salinity Daily and Hourly Averages (2013-present)
- Tomales Bay Buoy Seawater Conductivity Daily and Hourly Averages (2013-present)
- Tomales Bay Buoy Seawater Turbidity Daily and Hourly Averages (2013-present)
Wave Data (courtesy of NDBC)
Use the form below to access BOON environmental datasets. These data are initial values stored immediately after being acquired by the sensors. Quality assurance procedures have not been applied to the data.
Please note: This query tool is undergoing further development. Queries that span a large date range at high resolution (finest averaging interval) may not return any data. For best results, begin your requests with a relatively small date range and reasonable resolution.
For hourly and daily averages of select data sets, available for download, please see Data Downloads >
Note: Data dates/times are UTC (PST -8/PDT -7).
Direct questions or problems with this query tool to firstname.lastname@example.org.
High Frequency Radar Sea Surface Current Data
For data please see High Frequency Radar Sea Surface Current Data